Sunday, September 9, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 67

Day 67 – 

I had to get up early today to take Peter to the airport. He is traveling for work for two weeks and he is somewhat concerned about being able to make healthy Keto choices while he is traveling. We talked about some of the good healthy options that he can choose.  It is not always convenient to diet. 


On my way home I stopped at Target and they had Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Creamer. I don’t really care if its actually a good Keto choice or not, I am excited. According to the label it has 2 grams of carbs per one tablespoon serving so that seems pretty reasonable. 

After getting home I worked on some chores and then made myself some tuna fish using my olive oil mayonnaise. I even cut one of the Keto biscuits in half and had a tuna sandwich. I am so happy about those biscuits and I am definitely making them again. 


After lunch I went over to the YMCA. 

I did over 30 minutes on the treadmill and I was able to comfortably walk at the 3.0 speed again. I am feeling really great about working out. While we were walking to and from the football game yesterday I was excited because I could tell I was doing better going up and down stairs. I think the exercise has improved my ankle stability. 

After the treadmill, I followed up with about 20 minutes on the stationary bicycle.  My legs were tired when I was done, but it felt good.


The exciting news is that when I went to weigh myself I have now officially reached 20 pounds of weight loss!  

 I do think some of my clothes fit better, and I certainly felt more comfortable when I went on an airplane, but to actually reach 20 pounds feels great! I know I have a lot more to lose but this is a good start.

After I got home I began to think about dinner and with Peter gone I wanted to stick with something simple, but I also had some leftover cauliflower that we had ground up with the food processor. I decided to try and make some mashed cauliflower. I looked online and there are tons of recipes. I found a simple recipe for loaded mashed cauliflower and I basically followed it, but I made a few variations. 

Since we had already chopped up the cauliflower, I put it in the microwave with some water for about 3-4 minutes.

Next I added that to the mixer with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and after mixing that for a bit I added some shredded cheddar cheese. 
It didn’t get very fluffy, I think the cauliflower was too wet so I decided to put it in small glass dishes and bake it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. I added some extra cheddar cheese on top because…duh…who doesn’t want extra cheddar cheese, and that is what they did in the recipe I looked at. 

After baking I tried one of the dishes and it was really good. The consistency is not the same as mashed potatoes and I am not sure if that is due to my skills or just the nature of cauliflower. I honestly thought it felt more like grits, but it tasted yummy. 

I do love how many new fun food options we have tried or learned about due to this diet. 


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! 20 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I follow Paleo and I make a Shephard's Pie with mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes on top and it is yummy! On your diet you could add cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I am feeling pretty encouraged and I have to keep working hard.

      Delete