Sunday, August 26, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 52

Day 52 – 


After such a big splurge last night I have to admit that this morning my tummy was unhappy. I did eat one fried egg for breakfast to settle my stomach, but it didn’t really work. I felt a bit yucky all morning – the price I had to pay for our cheat meal. 

I did finally start to feel a little better in the afternoon so I heated up my leftover green beans and filet. Feeling so crummy I did not make it over to the YMCA today, but I am planning to go tomorrow. 

Peter really wanted to try some of those ‘fat bomb’ recipes that I had mentioned to him. Although something called a ‘fat bomb’ sounds really strange, fat bombs are used by lots of folks on the Keto diet to ensure they are eating an adequate amount of fat. 

According to ruledme.com, “Fat bombs are a delicious combination of ketogenic ingredients that you can have as a snack, dessert, or meal replacement.” I have seen a lot about them on Keto Facebook groups, but we haven’t tried any yet so this will be something new. Not everyone on Keto has to or needs to eat fat bombs, but if you are concerned about not having enough fat in your diet these are a good way to jump your fat consumption up quickly. 

Peter and Danielle helped and we had a fun family day in the kitchen with our new food processor.
Peter started by making a Keto Guacamole/Bacon fat bomb. Peter is happy to make anything that involves bacon.
Here is the link for that recipe:

 Next we made Pecan Pie fat bombs. I happen to absolutely love Pecan pie so I was excited to try these and luckily my adorable healthy vegan daughter had all the ingredients we needed. We all had fun playing with the new food processor. 
 According to the recipe, “ they’re gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, vegan, Whole30-approved, AND keto if you leave out the date. They’re loaded with healthy fats, so just one ball will help keep you full for a while.“ We did change the recipe slightly; we subtracted from recipe: shredded coconut & coconut butter.  We also exchanged peanut butter for the pecan butter and artificial sugar for the date.  It is important to not over-process the pecans or you will wind up with nut butter.  These tasted good, but they had a little bit of a gritty feel to them. 

Here is the link for that recipe: 
https://www.bakerita.com/pecan-pie-fat-bombs/
Next we made some ridiculously rich, but slightly messy chocolate peanut butter balls. 
We accidently added all the ingredients together at first in the food processor instead of sprinkling the chocolate over the top, but I think they still came out nicely. I left them in the freezer for almost a half hour but they were still a bit sticky to roll into balls.  I did like the one I tasted. It was very rich and very chocolaty, but not very sweet. 
Here is the link for that recipe:
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58139/keto-fat-bombs-recipe/

I didn’t try one of the Bacon Guacamole ones yet – two fat bombs in one day were more than enough. It was fun to make these and hopefully they will help us ensure adequate fat intake. 



No comments:

Post a Comment