Saturday, August 18, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 44

Day 44 – 

So today I got completely distracted with work, I had so much going on and I simply ran out of time to eat. I realized it was 1:30 and I had not eaten at all. I was actually starting to not feel well and unfortunately I had forgotten to plan ahead and have my healthy snacks with me. 


Apparently I had unintentionally done intermittent fasting. Many Keto experts recommend at least some fasting for individuals on the Keto diet, primarily to help achieve ketosis. Some experts believe that intermittent fasting may drive blood-sugar levels down, which can promote or enhance ketosis.

After reading several articles about fasting on the Keto diet, here is what I learned: It's not necessary to do intermittent fasting on the keto diet but it may help, especially for folks who have reached a plateau with their weight loss. Doing intermittent fasting on the keto diet can speed up fat burn and weight loss.

If you have ever had a day where you ate dinner before 8 p.m. but didn't eat or drink anything with calories until noon the next day? Then you've intermittently fasted.  If you had to do blood work that required fasting or had to fast before a medical procedure, then you have done intermittent fasting. 

All of the articles were very clear that if you have diabetes and use insulin, or are following a keto diet for medical reasons like epilepsy, you definitely shouldn't practice intermittent fasting (or even do keto, for that matter) without talking to a nutritionist who specializes in the diet first.  

It can be overwhelming because there is so much information out there, but it is especially important to look for reliable sources, no just some self-proclaimed expert.  
 So after unintentionally fasting, I came home and had a leftover bratwurst and a cheese stick. Then Peter got home and we both went to the YMCA. 

I had a great workout; I started with 15 minutes on the stationary bicycle for a warm up. Then I did a circuit of the weight machines. Finally I finished off with 10 minutes on the treadmill waiting for Peter to finish. 
After we got home I jumped in the pool to cool off and then made myself some shrimp and cauliflower rice for dinner. I am still using smaller plates and focusing on smaller portion sizes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment