Thursday, August 16, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 42

Day 42 – 

Another busy day, which actually helped keep me on track. I started out the day with my usual cup of coffee and then after some work, including a boring conference call. Right after the call I ran over to the YMCA because at that point I really needed to move. 
Since I focused on weights yesterday, today I just did the treadmill, but I wound up walking for 50 minutes.  

I was really pleased when I stepped on the scale and I am back on track with weight loss. This was really motivating to see. 

Portion control really is everything, so I decided to do a little research about portion sizes.  I found this photo comparing plate sizes, no wonder Americans are overweight. We simply eat more food. 

I found a great blog post discussing ways to reduce portion sizes. 

Here are the six tips they shared
1.   Use a Smaller Plate – this one is obvious it makes your amount of food look like more; it’s a mental trick to help you not eat as much.  
2.  Leave a Few Bites Behind – this one is much harder for those of us who were taught to clean our plates, but it is still a good goal.  
3.   Share – this one was mostly referring to restaurants where the portions are notoriously large, so share with someone. I used to do that sometimes with my daughters when going out to eat. 
4.  Up the Greens – this one is self-explanatory; veggies are always a better choice.
5.  Pre-Portion Snacks – this actually does help, don’t bring over a whole package of something, just put a small amount in a cup, that way you have to consciously choose to eat more.
6.  Use Your Knife – here they were talking about cutting up your portions so you take more time eating, and it feels like more because there are more pieces.  

I think these are all good suggestions. Overall the main point is to be mindful of your portions when eating and try to focus on how much you are eating. 

After working out I had the leftover zoodles with chicken and Parmesan that I had saved from the night before. It was perfect and filled me up. 

I went to volunteer in the evening and I was so happy that they had some peanuts in their snack pile this time. I had about a half cup of peanuts and that really seemed to work well. I wasn’t really hungry when I got home and it was already after 8:00pm so I decided to just skip dinner.  

After being on the diet for 42 days now, some of these habits are becoming easier – it just feels natural to always have my water bottle with me, or to count the number of carbs in something when I grocery shop. I am hoping that these habits will just become part of my life after my 100 days commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment