Monday, August 20, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 46

Day 46 –

I slept in this morning and when I woke up Peter made me breakfast. I felt so spoiled. Along with my coffee I had a delicious bacon and cheese omelet. Of course Peter put a huge pile of bacon on my plate. He is very heavy-handed when he does portions, but I only ate 2 pieces and saved the rest for other uses this week, like adding it to salads.  


After breakfast we relaxed for a bit and then headed over to the YMCA. I did 40 minutes on the treadmill. Tomorrow I will do weight machines again. Peter has gone swimming for three days straight, swimming over 1000 meters each day. He is really motivated and says the swimming is coming easier now.  


Peter said people have been noticing his weight loss. Not so much yet for me, but of course I have not lost as much weight as he has. We were talking about it and I explained that my body simply does not burn as many calories as his. I know I am not alone, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating. If I ate the same portions as Peter I would immediately start gaining weight, even though he is losing weight. It doesn’t seem fair, but it is reality. 

After we finished our workout we headed over to Costco for some shopping. It was a struggle going down aisles with all those yummy but forbidden carbs. It was interesting how carefully both of us checked each package for the number of carbs. 

We had not eaten lunch so we were tempted by all of the samples offered, and we did indulge on some of the samples. I am sure we had a few more carbs then we should have, but we did share our small sample cups so it was fewer carbs then taking a whole sample.  We tried some shrimp pesto pasta salad and I had one shrimp and one noodle, Peter actually had 3 small noodles. We tried some Hawaiian chicken that I know had some sugar in the sauce, but I only ate one bite and Peter tried a small bite but he didn’t like it.  We were more than happy to try several of the Aidelles sausage samples because those were fairly safe, and Peter wound up buying some of those. I did eat one healthy tortilla chip.  

There was something fun about having a small amount of forbidden foods.  After 45 days of an extremely low carb diet, we both decided a small sample or two would not be the biggest crime. It is important to live in balance and we did skip several samples that we knew would not be a good idea including the bread and waffles.  We left Costco with a cart full of healthy food choices. 


After returning home and putting away the groceries we jumped into the pool for a swim, and then Peter started up the barbeque for dinner. He mad himself a cube steak with some grilled onion, I had a piece of salmon and I made a big tray of oven roasted broccoli and cauliflower. It came out great. I did snack on a handful of pecans after dinner.  

I have been a bit lax in my water consumption the past couple days so I will have to really focus on that again this week.  I know that drinking enough water will continue to help in my weight loss.  



2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I too have taken carbs and sugar out of my diet. I also eliminated dairy except for 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee because I am not a barbarian! My husband can just stop snacking at night for a couple of weeks and drop 10 pounds. I have lost some weight and here is the rub. I think I carry my weight well so people don't realize how fat I am and then when I loose weight and I want people to notice they don't because I carry my weight well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree it is frustrating how easily men can lose weight. I am fairly tall so I although it is pretty obvious I am overweight, I think I am like you and it can be deceptive. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete