Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 89

Day 89 – 

Even though Peter and I are almost finished with our 100 day commitment, we have both decided that we will continue a low carb lifestyle until we are able to lose enough weight to come close to our goal, but I will not continue to do daily blog posts. I might continue with monthly updates on our weight loss so far.

This morning I grabbed some coffee and headed out to work. One of the part time jobs I have is to lead field trips around the Botanical Gardens. The gardens are beautiful, it is a great way to get some exercise and I love being with the students as they learn about and explore the garden. Today was our orientation meeting for the new season of the garden. The head of our department was so sweet; she got a bunch of amazing goodies for everyone to eat before we got started. There were so many yummy looking goodies including chocolate and crème-filled Danish and the most adorable little cupcakes with little desert plants made from green icing decorating the top of the cupcakes. I so wanted to eat some but I knew that it would not get me to my goals. 

It is hard to refrain from having “just one” but I know those carbs will not help me to achieve my goals. I just had my cup of coffee and appreciated how pretty the snacks all were. There is no question that this is the hardest part of ‘dieting’. I could have chosen to take a small Danish and just have one bite. Sometimes that is a good choice so you don’t feel so deprived.  Being able to deal with temptation and make healthy choices is the hardest part of any weight loss goal. 

The meeting only lasted for the morning so I came home and grabbed one of the last remaining Keto biscuits in the fridge and some cheese. It was a great snack to keep me going. Later I cup up a cucumber. I love cucumbers and they are a great low carb source of nutrients and fiber. 

After Peter got home we worked together to make the stuffed peppers that he wanted to try. I found a basic recipe online.

We started by cutting up some onion and garlic and sautéing them in a pan. Next we added the cauliflower rice to help that get softened and add flavor. Next we added some ground beef, along with some seasoning of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. When the ground beef was no longer pink we added some tomato sauce and let it simmer for just a little bit.
While Peter was working on the inside, I grabbed some beautiful peppers we got at the grocery store and cut off the tops, cleaning out the inside. The recipe said to put some salt and pepper inside the peppers so I did. 
We carefully filled each pepper with the mixture and left some room at the top, which we covered with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese. Peter is a Wisconsin boy, so anything that we can put cheese on he is very happy. The recipe said to keep the tops on while cooking but we decided we wanted to top them with cheese instead. They were delicious. 

I love looking up new healthy recipes and cooking with Peter. This makes our whole Keto journey more interesting and the variety helps us do a better job of sticking to our diet. 

2 comments:

  1. Those peppers look great! I have made them with ground turkey and they're delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, they were really good. The peppers came out sweet and tender. I might have to try making them with turkey. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

      Delete