Saturday, October 13, 2018

Our Keto Journey - Day 100

Day 100 - 
We did it! Peter and I made it through a full 100 days on the Keto diet and as of today I have lost 30 pounds and Peter is down 35 pounds. We both still have more to lose but this is a fantastic jump-start.

I know that the Keto diet may not be for everyone, but it really worked for us. Peter and I had a great conversation last night about our diet, what we learned during our 100 days and what our next steps will be.

The biggest lesson that we learned is that Keto does work. We were both successful at losing weight. Peter described how he thinks Keto helps get our diet back to the natural way our bodies were designed to function.  I would have to agree, but for me the biggest change is avoiding the over-processed foods and empty carbs that are so prevalent today. 

Another incredibly important part of the diet for us was having a partner to diet with. The ability to do this together, to encourage each other and support each other was so important to our success.

I know that people who are considering Keto will be skeptical, but if they can commit to a certain amount of time like we did they will find out that this diet does pay off. 

One of the things I really enjoyed about the diet was the challenge to try out new recipes and new ways of cooking. I tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking, so this was an opportunity to try new things and we both really liked all the things we were able to eat.  

I am not going to say it wasn’t challenging at times. Peter said the one thing he missed the most is not having a big cold glass of milk with his meals. For me the struggle was missing the crunch of chips and crackers that I love to eat. I did find some substitutes but they really were not the same as a salty crunchy chip. 

We both managed to lose a good amount of weight despite doing what I refer to as Lazy Keto. We did not carefully count macros, we simply tried each day to limit our carbs to 25 grams or less and ensure we were adding fats to our diet. Some days we were more successful than others and there were a couple times where we chose to not worry about carbs, but overall we stuck to our diet.

Now to the big question – what’s next? Since we both have a large amount left to lose we are planning to continue with a low carb lifestyle. I hope to loose at least 50 more pounds and Peter has said that he wants to keep going to meet his goal as well.  

We both feel healthier being on the Keto diet.  I don’t have that afternoon sugar crash that I used to have so often.  Eating better has inspired us to be more active, which is also helping us reach our weight loss goals.  

We may not be as strict about staying under 25 grams of carbs each day, but we will maintain a low carb lifestyle and if we chose to indulge on a special occasion that’s okay.  Feeling like I can never have a treat will cause me to fail. I love eggnog and I will chose to have a glass or two this holiday season, but I won’t over-indulge and have it daily. 

I won’t be blogging daily but I might still do an update on our progress weekly or even monthly.  I have been tracking my daily weight and I will continue to do that until I am closer to my goal weight. 

We will both keep encouraging each other to exercise, it is good for us and it’s a great way to spend quality time together. We both want to be around for a long time and to have the energy to play with our grandson.

Knowing that we can lose weight is incredibly motivating. It is hard work, I have to watch my portion sizes carefully to lose weight, but with all the tools and knowledge I have learned in these past 100 days, I know that I can do it. 

6 comments:

  1. A hearty "congratulations". The important lesson is that eating healthy and keeping active is a permanent lifestyle change, and can be hard to sustain, as you well know. I wish you much success going forward. We'd love to hear about your continued journey from time to time. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. We don't Keto, we're doing WW, but it has an emphasis on lower processed carbs and more real fruit and veggies. We've lost over thirty pounds as well. We don't call it a diet anymore. It's a lifestyle change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer - that is pretty much how my hubby and I are describing it too.

      Delete
  3. It has been amazing following your journey. Because of your example, I have started my own journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane, that is exactly what I was hoping when I started this blogging project. I am sending you positive wishes for you journey.

      Delete